Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Welcome To Dan Ornstein's Blog

Welcome, everyone.

I'm pleased to present my new blog to you. The title, Four Bright Lights, is taken from my forthcoming children's book by the same name, to be published by Ben Yehuda Press. The story follows the adventures of an immigrant German Jewish family and an African American slave family. They meet each other quite by accident...or maybe not so accidentally...on the underground railroad in the 1850s. The four bright lights represent the four bright lights of the Hanukkah menorah burning that third night of Hanukkah when the two families meet. They also symbolize the four courageous children from the two families. The book is a tribute to people of all faiths who see the image of God reflected in all humanity, and who have the courage to help those in need.

On this blogspot I will post sermons and divrei Torah (in English, "mini sermons") that I have written, based upon the teachings of Jewish tradition. I am also posting essays of mine that have aired on WAMC Northeastern Public Radio,located in Albany, NY. Finally, members of Congregation Ohav Shalom (Albany, NY) and I will be traveling to Israel for a mission/pilgrimage in the coming months. I will be staying on afterwards to explore and write about some of the spiritual scene in Jerusalem, one of the holiest cities in the world. I will be posting from Israel during that time, and I hope you enjoy and find meaning in what I write.

All the best, and enjoy!

Dan

1 comment:

  1. Shalom my friend,

    You may or may not remember me, but I was the gay man whom you converted shortly before you left Beit Shalom in Raleigh. I think much about you lately and am happy to tell you that Mack, our son and I are well and hope that you and your family are as well. I apologize for being so long in reaching out to you, but it has been some years that truly tested my trust in all things. I am joyous to tell you that it has all worked according to the natural beauty that our creator allows.

    I have thought so much about you and how much I learned from you during our time together. I want so much to tell you that without your loving guidance all those years ago, I know that I would not be here to share my joy with you.

    Please know that my love for you has never waned. I hope so much that you and all that you love are well.

    Blessings to you and all that you touch.

    Bill McCarty
    mackorbilly@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete